Research awards honor special scientific achievements in research and/or teaching and are available for each career phase. They are awarded by the major funding agencies such as the DFG as well as by foundations, associations, and companies. With such awards, you strengthen your research profile and gain an advantage in application and third-party funding.
There is a large number of scientific awards, some of which are for specific subjects or disciplines or are restricted to specific target groups.
Nomination by the University Management
The Rectorate regularly nominates for the following prestigious awards:
- The most important research award in Germany: Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the DFG
- The Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Prize of the DFG for early career researchers
- The Deutscher Zukunftspreis, German President’s Award for Innovation in Science and Technology
- The Innovation Award of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia (website in German only)
- The Bertha Benz Prize for young female engineers
Prizes of TU Dortmund University
TU Dortmund University honors special scientific achievements with a series of awards for different target groups.
• Best of the year award for students
• Dissertation prize of the TU Dortmund University
• Dortmund Gambrinus Fellowships
• Hans Uhde Prize for the promotion of science
• Rudolph Chaudoire Research Prize
• Martin-Schmeißer Medal
• Till-Moritz-Karbach Prize
• Lotte-Kaliski Prize
• LeWis Prize
On the following websites, you can inform yourself about awards:
- academics database of science awards (in German only)
- ELectronic Research Funding Information System (ELFI)
- Information service Forschung Internationales Transfer (FIT; in German only)
In addition, you will regularly receive the latest announcements for your field of expertise via the mailing list of Research Support Services.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Verena Risse, Assistant to the Vice President Research, by e-mail.
In the case of many awards, you cannot apply for the award yourself; instead, nomination by third parties – often by the university management – is required. Research Support Services will be happy to support you in the application process for awards that allow you to apply for funding yourself.
Research Support Services provides general information about the various science awards and the respective nomination procedure. Please feel free to send us an e-mail. The team of the Graduate Center TU Dortmund will be happy to advise you individually on the topic of science awards as a component for your academic career.